The J.L. Sorenson Recreation Center is Salt Lake County’s flagship recreation facility and serves the Utah communities of Herriman, Riverton and Bluffdale.
The recreation center includes:
- 8-lane lap pool with dive tank (77,000 SF)
- Leisure pool with water toys (6,000 SF)
- UV/Ozone/Regenerative filter
- Solar hot water panels (produce 525 million BTU/yr)
- Pool spectator seating (1,550 SF)
- Double gymnasium (16,550 SF)
- Indoor track (1/10 of a mile)
- Large fitness areas
- 6 racquetball courts
- Dance/aerobics studios
- Day care
- Emergency generator (the center acts as an evacuation center)
The facility includes several sustainable features that will save the County 40 percent each year in operational costs and 30 percent less water than a typical recreation center. The center has been designed and constructed to LEED Gold certification standards.